I’m back. Apologies for the recent lack of posts, it’s fair to say the last ten days or so have been a bit of a whirlwind and this is the first spare minute I’ve really had during that time. What’s happened (for the 1-2 people who might actually be interested)? Truth be told I’m not quite sure where to start.

Following the triumph of taking the club record for a five mile TT I was on a real high. Six months ago I’d have laughed if you’d told me I’d even be racing, let alone posting PB’s. The confidence boost that ride gave me lead to a slightly (okay, very) impulsive decision. I’ve been thinking about giving Road Racing another go for a while now, surprisingly having missed it. Don’t get me wrong, Time Trialling is definitely my favourite discipline and the one I now plan on prioritising for the rest of the season but there’s a certain thrill that only mass-start events can facilitate.

The sensible thing to have done would have been to enter a local circuit race, something I could use to dip my toe in and gauge my fitness and skill level. That’s exactly what I did, unfortunately I then saw that there happened to be a Road Race taking place two days beforehand. Ever the highly disorganised student I got my entry in about two minutes before the deadline, getting it accepted was something of a miracle. So it was that I soon found myself on the startline again. For the first time ever I was genuinely looking forward to it, I couldn’t tell you exactly what’s fallen into place mentally over these past few weeks but the difference it’s made is unbelievable. I wasn’t afraid of losing, I really wanted to win the thing.

The first three laps were a bit of a learning curve, it’s been a long time since I’ve ridden in a large bunch and my skills were understandably rusty. Nonetheless I managed to stay with the pack, one old gremlin that I was glad to put to rest was that of descending. All the time I’d spent on a Mountain Bike really paid dividends, whilst still being far from the best descender in the bunch I didn’t struggle to keep up. Another thing that struck me was how much easier it was to keep up the pace when compared with a couple of years ago. I  might not be quite as fast on the climbs but riding all of those TT’s has given me a much more powerful engine.

It wasn’t until the fourth lap that things began to get interesting. A steep climb did an excellent job of thinning out the bunch and I saw an opportunity, waiting until the gradient lessened to put in a big effort. I soon found myself right at the business end of the race. Looking back I suspect it was overexcitement that caused me to make a tactical error at that point. I could just about see a breakaway group up ahead and took it upon myself to chase them down.

I was in full on TT mode, focusing exclusively on catching the rider in front and doing my best to ignore what the effort was doing to my legs. There’s always a voice in your head telling you to give up at times like that, the chase can be very demoralising especially if the gap is coming down slowly. A quick glance over my shoulder revealed that only a few fellow riders had stayed with me, if this proved to be a winning break and I could get myself in it there was a real chance.

The mistake I’d made was not making the others pull through and share the work, it wasn’t till we’d very nearly joined onto the back of the group that I got some help with making the catch. I was almost spent, with no power data from the race it’s impossible to be sure but I’d estimate it to have been the best part of 400 watts for a good four to five minutes. Still, there were reasons to be cheerful. For the first time ever I was in a breakaway in a Road Race, gone were the days of hiding away at the back all day.

Annoyingly the break in question soon proved to be an ineffective one, had I not done all the chasing earlier on I’d have gone to the front and tried to drive the pace up but as it was I had to rely on others to do it, nobody was inclined to. It wasn’t long before the bunch caught up. Technically speaking I was still in a good position but I knew the race would likely be won or lost on the final climb and that I’d struggle to go with any uphill attacks. Bummer.

It finished exactly as I’d predicted, a rider behind me initiated a move on the steepest section of the climb and I didn’t quite have the legs to follow it. I won’t deny it was agonising to see a group break free at that point, my chances of a high placing vanishing along with them. I managed to stick with the bunch and finished in a respectable 31st place out of 80. In hindsight it was still better than I could have reasonably hoped for but nonetheless there’s a big element of disappointment, I had the legs to properly contest that race but I’d let adrenaline get the better of me and used them up too early.

I came away from the race hungry to give it another go and hopefully put the lessons that day taught me to good use. Sadly it wasn’t to be in the circuit race a couple of days later, this time it was a mistake I really shouldn’t have made – starting off at the very back of a 50 strong bunch on an narrow track wasn’t ever going to to well. Cornering has always been a weak spot of mine and it made it next to impossible to gain any places. If I’m honest it was pretty dull, essentially riding round in circles waiting for bell to sound and signify the start of the last lap. Hopefully the next time will yield a better result.

That brings us neatly to last Saturday. A couple of weeks previously I’d entered a ten mile TT on what was known to be a quick course – oddly enough I’d never actually attempted the distance before. I can remember reading a blog post from another Cyclist a couple of years back, marvelling at him being quick enough to ride a ten in under twenty minutes. In order to do so you have to maintain an average of over 30 mph, no mean feat even when riding an aerodynamic TT bike. I set my sights a bit lower, hoping for something close to 21 minutes. My legs felt very flat after the two hour drive it took to get there. I’m not exaggerating when I say it was a struggle to get up a small rise on the way to the start line. This wasn’t going to be fun.

I was pleasantly surprised to glance down at my average speed after the first mile and see it reading 29.5, the course was living up to it’s reputation. The morale boost that gave me was a big factor in what happened next, giving me the mental drive to push my tired legs and set a half-decent time after all. I can honestly say it was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done, the effect of every tiny hill or gust of headwind was deeply felt.  At the half way point things were looking very hopeful, an average of 30.5. I dared to dream – somehow despite everything that had taken place since the end of last season my fitness had progressed to the point where a sub 20 was a serious possibility. I pushed as hard as I could all the way to the finish line. A surefire sign that I was really giving it my all manifested itself in that dreaded feeling of nausea (I live in fear of throwing up at the finish line one day). My final time was 20:09, agonisingly close.

In short it’s been good. Yes it’s annoying to have had two near misses but it’s important not to lose perspective. I’m faster than I’ve ever been before and hopefully with a bit of luck and some hard training I’ll be-able to go the distance later on in the season. Fingers crossed anyway.

Thanks for reading.

Leave a Reply